Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Getting Crafty

I only used one Stampin' Up! item on this project...but I just HAD to show you all! I'm thinking about adding some other embellishments from the From the Crypt stamp set, but we'll see. P.S. I wanted the text and the pictures in the reversed order, but we got a new version of explorer at work and I thnk it's preventing me from copying and pasting so I'm a little irritated. So you get to see the pics first.


These are the pumpkins before they were painted. I also painted a couple gourdes.
Here are the clay pots and saucers.


And voila! The finished product. I wish you could see some of the details. Like the rhinestones and the bronze and the glitter.

This is a close up of one of the pots. The only Stampin' Up! thing I used was the striped ribbon, and I think it turned out adorable!


Here's the backside...it even looks great from that angle.


So yesterday at work my good friend Amanda was telling me that while she was out sick last week she was watching Studio 5 and they were talking about how Halloween is all about the glam now rather than being scary. They were demonstrating how to make your own glam Halloween by making your own mercury glass-looking pumpkins. I totally LOVE mercury glass. If you're not sure what that is, it's okay. Basically it looks like silver, but it's not solid, it has different colors and textures and patterns and has an old vintage type look. Anyhow, I went to the store and bought some of those fake, carvable pumpkins because I didn't want to go through all that work using real ones just to have to throw them away later. (P.S. I looked everywhere online for them to get an idea of the cost and found them for 60% off at Michaels!) Then stopped at Home Depot for some spray paint. Here's how you do it (click here for the Studio 5 video):

You spray your pumpkins silver, and while it's still wet, spray it with a brown (I picked a metalic bronzey color). The video says to get some brown craft paint and flick it on there to add dimension and spotting, but I tried it and didn't love the look so I skipped that part. And that's it! It seriously took no time at all! I just got a box and stuck everything in there I wanted to spray and that was that. The bronze color doesn't show up very well on camera, but I was so pleased with how they turned out. Some of the smaller pieces really look realistic!
To glam it up even more I got some stick on rhinestones (only $1 per package) and decorated some of the pumpkins and pedestals with them (also hard to see on camera). Oh, and I made the 3 pedestals too using small terra cotta pots and saucers. So inexpensive (cost me less than $5.75 for all three) and easy. I just spray painted them with the same technique and then used some tacky glue to glue them together (I tried hot glue, but it didn't stick). For even more sparkle I added a few glittery skulls and my own silver candle sticks. I also wanted to spray paint some skeleton bones I found at the store as well to add a spooky touch, but I only have so much money. :) So I think I'll go to the store right after Halloween and see if I can get them way cheap for next year. You could also add some fake gems, feathers, flowers, leaves, etc. to fill up the table even more with different textures.

1 comment:

  1. Meggan, Your decorations are awesome. You are so creative. Thanks for sharing the ideas. Laura

    ReplyDelete